Nanny cams are kind of home surveillance cameras to record videos and capture images which can be hidden or visible. For working moms, it is always important for them to hire a nanny to look after their children in their absence.
But, even after looking through all reliable sources and putting in all efforts by parents, Nannies are caught mistreating the children across the globe so it is always wise to add these security features to your home. Nanny cams are not only limited to kids alone but they can also be installed on the premises to have an idea of what is happening at your home in your absence.
Table of Contents
- Uses of Nanny Cams
- Types of Nanny Cams
- List of 5 Best Nanny Cam Reviews in 2020
- Features To Consider When Buying Best Nanny Camera
- Where To Place A Nanny Cam?
- Legal Issues
- How To Install A Nanny Camera?
- How To Hide Your Nanny Cam?
Uses of Nanny Cams
- Home security
- Office or business security
- Monitor your nanny or babysitter
- Employee Performance
Types of Nanny Cams
With a different intent and legal obligations, there are two types of nanny cam but both serve the same purpose.
- Hidden Nanny Cams: This type of camera is hidden which is meant for monitoring of nanny without his/her knowledge.
- Exposed Cameras: These cameras are installed in a plain site and are visible to everybody.
Everyone’s purpose or goal is different when investing in a nanny cam but the ultimate motive of each consumer is almost same. Thus while researching for the best nanny cam, there are few guidelines to be considered before buying a nanny surveillance system for your home.
List of 5 Best Nanny Cam Reviews in 2020
1. Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Camera 2MP
The Amcrest ProHD 1080P Nanny Cam is a great tool to help you closely monitor your children or pets even when you are away from home.
It is an excellent camera that offers a crystal clear view at 30 frames per second.
It helps you keep a close tab on what is happening inside your house with great ease and comfort. This allows you to directly record on an on-board Micro SD card and even live streaming is possible directly from your phone.
The mobile set up is quick and almost instantaneous which means you can securely access your home, your pets and your kids even from a remote distance with such great ease with the Amcrest view app.
It has a stunning 90-degree view angle and you can easily set up Wi-fi on this device. Additionally, you get access to smart motion alerts, advanced recording options, and an encrypted connection. When you have encrypted connection, it provides high-end security which means hackers cannot hack into your connection.
Amcrest Cloud also offers cloud recording with 4 hours of free live viewing feature which is accessible from any Windows, iOS and Android devices.
- It allows two-way talking directly from your smartphone or any other portable device. It provides intelligent motion alerts and a number of mobile and web apps.
- Provides High Definition Images
- Easy and instant set-up with installation
- Digital zoom, pan and tilt feature Access to nighttime vision
- Provides intercom facility It has gotten a 4.5-star rating from a maximum of 80 % customers
- Customers find it hard to set up and configure, and expert guidance may be required initially.
- It comes with two apps, namely Lite and Pro. Most customers have had problems setting up the camera with the Lite app which is a free one.
2. D-Link DCS-5029L HD Pan & Tilt Wi-Fi Camera
The D-Link DCS-5029L Nanny Cam is loaded with a lot of beneficial features that is great for supervision.
It has a two-way audio feature which allows you to talk to your children when you are at work or away from home.
This means you can also communicate with your child’s babysitter and give instructions as needed.
It is simple and easy to use and the setup process is also relatively simpler than most other nanny cameras in the market.
The camera has an SD card slot for storage purposes which means you can view the footage at a later stage as well. It has night time video, sound and motion features and a little camera through which you can monitor your home remotely.
Also, you can take shots in between when you see any unusual activity happening inside the house. You can gain access to the live footage at anywhere, anytime on any mobile or portable device, provided you have an Internet connection.
This is a simple and easy to operate camera which can give you peace of mind knowing you can communicate with your child easily.
- It has a built-in power supply of 110-240 V AC
- Infrared facility up to 26 feet in darkness.
- Digital zoom up to 10x with pan and tilt
- Easy setup and installation process
- Comes with a 1 year warranty period
- Intelligent motion alerts on mobiles and other devices
- Also, has password protection and encryption
- Live feeds and remote monitoring is accessible on smartphones and other devices alike.
- Image resolution is relatively poor when compared to other nanny cameras of the same range in the market.
- The built-in speaker is not very loud which can lead to problems in audio hearing
- A problem with the camera position has been reported by many customers.
3. Vimtag VT-362 Smart IP Cloud Surveillance Camera
Use it for keeping yourself updated on what your kids and pets are doing at home when you are not there.
No more worrying as the Vimtag WiFi IP Surveillance Camera / Nanny Cam comes with almost all the features that you need.
It has a stunning HD Video Quality with a 1280 x 720p 25 fps with advanced night time vision feature, a two-way communication, zoom pan and tilt, SD card slot and motion alerts.
The image quality is highly rated by most customers along with the audio quality.
When you plan to buy the best nanny cam, these are the points that are first considered and hence, these features make this nanny cam a desirable camera.
Just in case your house is robbed you can provide the evidence with an HD video to the police. You also have the option of storing the videos to a hard drive.
It can hold feeds from 4 different cameras at one time.
- It has a super strong and heavy rubber based material which means the camera is highly durable.
- The camera lens is of a superior quality which captures crystal clear videos with maximum clarity
- Remote monitoring and communication through live streaming with children is possible with a one million pixel High Definition camera.
- Motion detection snapshot alerts are captured automatically.
- Easy installation and setup process without complicated, lengthy procedures
- Very clear night vision is accessible
- Internal SD card slot is provided for video recordings with up to 32 GB capacity
- A sleek modern design which enables easy fit on walls and ceilings.
- Prompts for password every time a camera is logged off and this has been an issue with some customers
4. Nest Cam Indoor Wired Home Security Camera
The Nest Cam Indoor Security Camera allows you to quickly interact and watch what your child or pet is up to while you are away from home.
Whether you are out for work or some other purpose, the Nest Cam covers you with its stunning features.
You can be at ease, seeing what your child is doing or what your elderly parents are doing at home when you are away.
It has a 1080p video, a nighttime vision, a two-way communication process, sound and motion alerts and various other optional services from Nest Cloud allowing you to view the past footage.
The video quality is quite impressive along with the digital audio quality.
It provides a wide-angle 360-degree view and an infra-red night vision.
You can keep a sharp eye on your home to monitor intruders alongside the house and also your own pets and children indoors.
The Nest App is designed to notify you every time there is a motion or sound.
- It has an 8x zooming feature with crystal clear camera quality
- The special wall mounting hardware makes it easier to attach the camera to the wall.
- It has a built-in microphone that enables clear sound hearing
- Allows you 24/7 live video streaming
- Easy setup and instant installation process
- Provides high-level data security to keep your video footage secure
- Two-way communication enabled
- Smart motion alerts accessible
- Only works when wi-fi is on
- Need Nest Aware subscription to record
- Expect to pay more than for other nanny cams
5. Arlo – Add-on Camera with Motion Detection
The Arlo Pro Nanny Cam & Home Security Camera is a wireless camera which involves a less complicated way of adding the camera around the house.
Now you can keep a tab on your pets, children or elderly parents at home with just a click of a button. You can access the camera’s live footage from your smartphone with great ease.
The simplicity of use of this camera makes it the best choice for an average customer and is one of the winning features of this camera.
It is completely wireless without any power cords or Ethernet cords which also means it is convenient. The fuss of wiring is eliminated.
There are several mounting options and it is simple and easy to mount on the wall.
It has a two-way audio feature with a video resolution configurable up to 1280x 720.
It has a 130-degree viewing angle which allows you to move the camera to different angles with ease.
The battery power is 2440 mAh with a rechargeable battery option.
- The cameras mounts easy and recharge quickly with no hassle
- Audios enabled with speaker and microphone
- The storage options are both local as well as cloud storage
- The recording time is very responsive
- Comes with a digital panning, zooming and tilt option
- Smart motion detection sensors
- Easy setup with less complicated procedures
- Night vision enabled with 850 mm LEDS
- Additional batteries will cost higher
- For recharging the batteries, you must turn off the camera
Features To Consider When Buying Best Nanny Camera
Field of View
If you’re planning to use the set-up as a wireless security camera, you may be able to use a more narrow focus on the front door. However, if you’ll need the camera to capture the image of an entire room, you will need a wide field of vision of at least 100 degrees or greater. A 130-degree view is ideal.
Some cameras can be adjusted to zoom on an area of focus. Very high-end wireless spy cameras might allow you to control the zoom from a computer or mobile device from anywhere in the world. Most cameras, though, allow a simple set of the zoom level that is maintained until you adjust the camera itself.
Remote Pan Or Tilt
This feature permits you to move the camera lens in a real-time recording. You can keep track of what is happening in a room. Without this feature, you are fixed with one set view which may not be acceptable by all. If you want to keep an eye on the other people interactions with your child, this will be a best-suited option for it.
Recording (Cloud or Wired)
Most nanny camera systems allow recording so you can play back the video footage at a later date. For example, if you have hidden cameras for home protection and you come home to a missing television, you can then replay the recording to gather evidence.
There are three ways these recordings can be stored. One way is to have the camera hooked up directly to a computer or an external hard drive. The second way is to store the information on board the camera either through an internal memory card or a removable Micro SD memory stick. The third way is to use Wi-Fi to allow the camera to store the video footage on the “cloud.”
Some consumers are concerned about the reliability and security of the Wi-Fi transmission, but the stream is almost always encrypted. The other issue, then, is the reliability of the Wi-Fi connection. If your internet goes down, most nanny cams will store the information on the internal memory drive, but the live-viewing feature will be down.
A good video quality will begin at around 640×480. The best nanny cameras will give you the option to adjust the quality. Lower quality footage will allow more storage space, while a higher quality will fill up your memory card faster.
Battery or Corded
Next, you want to consider the power source of your camera. This will depend somewhat on the placement you expect to have. If the camera will be left on the nightstand to simulate an alarm clock, a cord or battery will both work well. If you plan to mount the camera in the upper corner of a room, then you’ll obviously want to avoid batteries that die every few hours.
Of course, with a battery-only set-up, you do run the risk of the batteries dying at the worst possible time. A typical nanny cam will last 5 hours before it needs to be plugged back in to charge. If you really want security, a cord with a battery back-up is the way to go.
How do you want your camera to appear? There are really two routes you can go. One is to have the camera appear like a wireless security camera to hopefully thwart any unseemly behavior.
Your second option is to have a wireless spy camera that looks nothing like a camera. In this case, the camera looks more like a wall-mounted thermostat or a small alarm clock on the nightstand. The goal is usually to prevent the people being recorded from knowing they’re being watched.
These add-ons typically help mask the function of hidden cameras for home protection. Features such as a functional LED clock face, radio, and mp3 player add some functionality and believability to a hidden camera system.
Automatic vs. Manual
A good nanny cam should include an automatic function for recording. This allows you to set a predetermined time for the camera to come on and go off each day. The camera can also be programmed to run 24/7 with a loop function that deletes the oldest footage as it needs room for more memory.
A manual camera requires you to physically turn on the camera when you want it to start recording and to return to the camera to stop the recording. Very few models are strictly manual, although many do include this option in addition to an automatic function.
In some cases, a nanny cam might include a two-way communication feature that works with a computer or mobile device. This allows you to speak through the speaker on the camera.
Infrared (IR) technology allows the camera to have limited visibility at night. IR is constantly improving as new models come out, but a standard IR visibility range is between 7 and 9 feet from the camera.
Some cameras do not include a screen, while others have it built in to look like the face of an alarm clock or thermostat. If a screen is included, you’ll be able to watch the recorded footage on the camera device without having to transfer the footage to a computer. You’ll also want to note the size of the screen, which may range from 2” to 5”. The size of the screen will tell you something about the conspicuousness of the camera.
The more upgraded wireless spy cameras work with a motion detection sensor. This helps conserve battery and memory space by only turning on and recording when motion is detected in the camera’s field of view. It may also send you an alert to your e-mail when motion is detected.
While some nanny cams can play audio files from a memory card or through an AM/FM radio, the audio functionality is often limited to the radio alarm clock “disguise.” Most cameras do not record audio, so if you expect you’ll need audio, make sure to get a model with this specific function.
Where To Place A Nanny Cam?
It can be anywhere from a wall, ceiling, desk, clock etc. but for getting your job done efficiently, few factors are to be taken care of like low light performance, view angle, or video quality as the performance of the camera can be enhanced by selecting appropriate above said factors.
Best Place To Mount A Nanny Cam
It is always advised to read the safety manual and installing instructions carefully beforehand to avoid any kind of mishandling of the device. The best place to place a camera would be a high shelf or high on the wall, where it cannot be touched or moved easily. There must be no obstructions in the view of the camera and the view must be cross-checked from various angles and positions before mounting in order to have a perfect high coverage view. Image clarity, connectivity, battery must be checked beforehand while leaving home.
Few countries do not allow audio recording but most of the countries have made it legal to use nanny cams. There are certain restrictions that must be taken care of while recording person’s conversation without his/her knowledge. A written consent is essential, but know that any video recording surveillance cannot be placed in bedrooms, bathrooms or changing rooms.
How To Install A Nanny Camera?
The installation process of a nanny camera is extremely simple and only requires the right tools for it. A wireless camera may be preferred as they can be installed anywhere in the house by a nice receiver range attached to a computer or a video recorder. These cameras are available with a wide range of 500 feet but a standard 300 feet range will allow for normal type use and are comparatively more in demand.
The cameras can then be added to the wireless network by simply following easy steps given in the installation guides. After getting the camera on the network, a live view can be accessed by any iPhone or Android. Apart from this, for computer viewing, software is also available in the market to help setting up a recording schedule.
How To Hide Your Nanny Cam?
It is a good idea to keep your cam hidden so that nobody can disable it. Also, few guests feel discomforted by the watchful eye of a camera. There are few ways to ensure that the nanny cam stays out of sight.
- An Artificial Plant: Attractive zero-maintenance foliage is the best way that can be created along with a device to keep an eye on the unwanted things to take place behind your back.
- A stuffed toy: A plush toy can easily be used to disguise your nanny camera, but it has to be placed somewhere on a shelf where it cannot be thrown away by our little champ.
- Kitchen: The hidden camera can be placed in the kitchen to keep an eye on the nanny during food preparation or it can be hidden in a mirror lamp where food is generally prepared.
- Light switch plate: A double switch plate is a nice place to hide your camera which is more appealing and discreet option than hiding it out in the open.
- A bookcase: Hiding camera among the same colored books is a lovely way to conceal it.
There are many spy cameras for babysitters or nannies available in the market to pick from all the choices available, the details and other information is also required.
Nanny cams help in serving a specific purpose but the applications of the nanny cams have grown recently. The amount of security they offer is quite surprising. The presence of these cameras helps parents who are not home, to serve their eyes and ears to keep a check on how the kids are looked after and treated.
The best thing about a nanny camera is that it is easily available at an affordable price. Take the required features and preferences in terms of cost, application, and size must into consideration when you select the best nanny camera. With the help of knowledge acquired, it will be easy to choose a right nanny cam as per your personal needs. This is a perfect way to get peace of mind that the kids are safe in your absence.